As our body cells perform their work, they will secrete acid wastes that need to be neutralized for health to be maintained. Therefore, we need to be alkaline to be healthy but are constantly creating acids in the body. The problem nowadays is that due to poor diet, a lot of people are more acidic than they should be. As maintaining alkalinity is paramount for survival, the body will take minerals from other body parts if the diet does not supply adequate amounts. For instance, calcium may be taken from the bones leading to osteoporosis.
A body that has been overly acidic for a long time will be more susceptible to chronic or acute disease. For example, if excess acid store in the tissues and joints, arthritic symptoms could result.
Symptoms of Over-Acidity
- Skin problems
- Acid sweat
- Excess stomach acid
- Low immune system
- High protein diet
- Strenuous exercise (creates lactic acid)
- Intense perspiration
- Drugs, both medical and recreational, tend to be acid-forming
- Eat more vegetables such as asparagus, carrots, watercress, celery and sea vegetables.
- Reduce intake of red meat and processed meat.
- Cut down the consumption of refined sugars, refined grains.
- Avoid alcohol ,drugs and tobacco.
- Deep breathing, meditation and relaxation techniques that reduce stress.
- Chewing food thoroughly increases alkalinity as saliva is alkaline.